Sebenta National Institute
A leading basic literacy, non-formal education and vocational skills training provider in the region and beyond.
To provide quality basic literacy, non-formal education and vocational skills as a team of committed staff, while partnering with relevant stakeholders, through:
- Promoting inclusive education
- Innovative and rigorous curriculum development
- Appropriate training and skills development
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Appropriate human resource development
Sebenta National Institute is a category “A” Public Enterprise under the Ministry of Education and Training. The college was established in 1960 to provide adult basic literacy to enable people to achieve personal development. Over the years the Institute has extended its basic literacy provision and include non-formal education and vocational skills to every Swazi Citizen irrespective of age, socio-economic background & disabilities. Hence the slogan has changed from ‘Imphi yemfundvo yalabadzala’ to ‘Imfundvo yawonkhewonkhe'.
COURSES OFFERD BY SEBENTA
- SiSwati & Numeracy - 12 Months This course is designed for those who have never had exposure to formal school system.
- Basic English & Numeracy - 12 Months This course offers learners the opportunity to learn English as a second language as well as to obtain the ability to read and write Basic English and Numeracy.
- Post Basic English & Numeracy - 12 Months This course is designed for learners who want to advance their reading and writing skills.
- Non-formal Primary Education (NUPE) - 24 Months This programme provides a progression route from Basic Literacy to further academic qualifications. It also serves the springboard for further training in vocational skills.
- Non-formal Primary Education (NPE) - 24 Months This course is designed for over aged learners from 10 - 18 years.
These courses are designed for learners who needs basic vocational training. The following courses are currently offered by Sebenta Vocational Skills Department.
- Sewing - 10 Months
- Carpentry - 10 Months
- Bricklaying/Blockmaking - 10 Months
- Computer Literacy - 3 Months
- SiSwati Setfu : Sebenta also provides a course designed for non-siSwati and/or English speakers who want to learn siSwati and/or English as a second language. It helps to acquire basic communication in written and spoken siSwati.
- Individual Tutoring : The Institute also provide individual tutoring for learners who cannot join group classes.
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
- Translation : Translation of documents from English to siSwati.
- Printing : A variety of printing services are done at very competitive prices. Services include but not limited to the printing of Business Cards, Wedding Cards, Letter Heads, News-letter, Books and Reports.
Prices are available on request.
Applications are available at the reception throughout the year