Co-operative College Of Eswatini
A centre of quality teaching and learning for the empowerment of cooperatives to be viable and sustainable by 2023
To continuously improve internal capacity and strengthen collaboration with relevant stakeholders in developing and provision of programmes that are responsive to cooperatives needs
The Co-operative College of Swaziland (CCS) commonly known as CODEC, came into being in 1976 with the mandate of providing education and training on various aspect of cooperation to the Co-operative Movement staff, board members, general membership and public at large. Located 14 km South of Mbabane in the Ezulwini valley, the college was established as a joint project of the government of Swaziland, the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Swedish International Development Authority (SIDA).
The Co-operative College is the only Co-operative support institution in Swaziland rendering it central in the development of the Co-operative sector. It promotes rural development through cooperatives to achieve greater empowerment. The College also encourages the formation of groups, especially among women, youth and the physically disabled; supports co-operative movement formations, develops entrepreneurship skills leading to self-employment and enhance access to special credit programmes and equity financing for small business start-up in rural areas (FSRA-Act, 2010).
1. Long duration
- Certificate in Cooperative Business Management (10 months)
- Induction Course (4 weeks)
- Certificate in Cooperative Business Management : part time
- Membership empowerment programmes:
2. Board of Directors Orientation
3. Education Committee
4. Supervisory Committee
6. Secretary and Managers
- Outreach programmes
2. Schools Cooperatives
3. Political leaders’ sensitisation on Co-operatives
4. Business associates’ sensitisation on Co-operatives
- Introduction to Co-operation
- Basics of Book-keeping and Accounting
- Introduction to Business Maths and Statistics
- Commercial Knowledge
- Business knowledge
- Introduction to Co-operative Policy and Legislation
- Introduction to Community Development
- Introduction to Computer Applications
- Introduction to Co-operative Accounting
- Principles of Economics
- Introduction to Principles of Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Costing and Materials Management
- Savings and Credit Co-operative Management.
Minimum requirement is 4 passes (English inclusive) in IGCSE/SGCSE/GCE O’level or any equivalent. Applicants with Accounting and Business Studies are given first priority if the college receives satisfactory evidence that the candidate qualifies for the programme applied for.
Applications are available at the institution.